b-hebrew - Re: Hebrew Syntax., 2 Sam 15:37

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Hebrew Syntax., 2 Sam 15:37
  • Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 11:54:12 +0200

Dear list-members,

Illustrations may be helpful for the mind, but they can also mislead, because not every side of the illustration can be applid to the situation. I realize that my illustration regarding privative systems can be misunderstood.

As I see it, the imperfective aspect has another meaning than the perfective one, so we cannot subsume the imperfective aspect under the perfective one vice versa, as can be done with "lionness" and "lion".

I define aspect on the basis of three parameters, a) the distance of focus,b) the angle of focus, and c) the breadth of focus. Point a) is always different between the two aspects, but b) and c) can be (almost) similar in a few situations, as in (1) and (2)

(1) 1 Kings 6:1 in the fourth year of Solomon's reign over Isreal, in the month of Ziv, the second month, he began to build (WAYYIQTOL) the house to YHWH

(2) 2 kings 14:1 In the second year of Jehoash son of Jehoahaz king of Israel, Amaziah son of Joah king of Judah became king (QATAL)

The two examples seems to be very similar, but they are different. The imperfective WAYYIQTOL focuses, not on just a point, but on the first part of the building work; so the focus includes the beginning and a part of the action. The focus of the perfective QATAL of (2) is narrover, just on the entrance into the state (entrance into a state is a definition given in the text-books of a QATAL realized as a static verb). Usually the area of focus of a QATAL is broader than in the case of a YIQTOL, as in (3).

(3) 2 kings 14:2 and he reigned (QATAL) in twenty-nine years.

In situations where the focus is not important, both aspects can be used, as in Psalm 2:1,2 and in many states. In other situations where the focus is important is the correct aspect chosen.

Regards

Rolf

Rolf Furuli

University of Oslo