b-hebrew - Re: Fw: Hebrew Syntax., 2 Sam 15:37

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <brocine AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Fw: Hebrew Syntax., 2 Sam 15:37
  • Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 21:54:21 -0400

Re: Fw: Hebrew Syntax., 2 Sam 15:37Rolf,

Why did you thank me for responding? Because you enjoy an
exchange about an interesting passage or because you want to
spring a trap?

I will answer your letter
since we are in a public forum.

You may have misunderstood my use of the term modal. I did
write "predictive/modal" considering, as some do like
Yoosten, future to be a brand of modal.

For all you did say about my method, you say nothing about
my translation.

"...but Absalom would enter Jerusalem."

Is there something about the context that makes the
translation unlikely? On the contrary, I think the context
supports it.

Is there something about the grammar that makes the
translation unlikely? I think my translation approaches the
X-yiqtol clause as unexceptional. How unexceptional for an
x-yiqtol clause to refer to the non-past! I think the
modern translations have treated the x-yiqtol as
exceptional. I suppose they may see it as one of a few
preterite yiqtols.

Here is another example of when the narrator "speaks through
the
invisible fourth wall" in order to explain something about
his previous narrative:

Gen 2:24
`al ken ya`azob 'ish 'et 'abiv ve'et 'imo vedabak be'ishto
vehayu lebashar 'exad

"for this reason a man leaves his father and his mother and
clings to his wife so they become one flesh"

With this explanation the narrator makes clear the
etiological nature of the preceeding narrative. The New JPS
translation uses very nearly the translation I have given
for Gen 2:24.

Shalom,
Bryan

B. M. Rocine