b-hebrew - Re: Noun Repetition... that isn't.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ian Goldsmith <iangoldsmith1969 AT yahoo.co.uk>
  • To: b- hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Noun Repetition... that isn't.
  • Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 17:14:28 +0100 (BST)

Charles.

You're quite right "this is not noun repetition" at
all (Exod 15:1). My profuse apologies, it was late on
a Friday afternoon.

I'd been looking at 'noun' repetition in 2 Kings 25:15
where we have "zhv zhv" presumably meaning 'pure' in
emphasis. This certainly seems a better rendering than
the KJV "gold in gold", wouldn't that be "zhv bzhv"?
Excuse my shorthand.

Anyway doesn't this same emphasis apply to the Exodus
15:1 passage of "gah gah" (anyone that wishes to mail
me the shorthand list, I'd be grateful!)?

Isn't it just an emphatic adjective? I know that
apparently the word in question has a verbal form, but
couldn't this just be an adjective repeated to give it
emphasis/strength of meaning. A bit like 'colourful
colourful' could mean 'splendid', 'gorgeous', 'richly
coloured'. In this case
"because (He is) greatly exalted/magnified".

Perhaps I'm labouring the point a bit, but here we
have the same word, where in one instance apparently
it's an adjective and in the following takes on a
verbal form. This is giving me a problem trying to get
a good grammatical English equivalent. Perhaps that's
because my grammar isn't that good, but perhaps it's
because the Hebrew here doesn't seem to follow an
English rule?

Could someone please supply me with an unambiguous
verb that is repeated elsewhere in scripture that
couldn't be an adjective please.

Many thanks for your time and patience.
Shalom.
Ian.

=====
Ian Goldsmith.
England.

Dibrah Torah kilshone bnei-adam
'The Torah spoke in the language of ordinary men.'
Berakot 31b