b-hebrew - RE: Hebrew Syntax.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Rolf Furuli'" <furuli AT online.no>, "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Hebrew Syntax.
  • Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 15:12:32 +0100

Rolf, one simple answer is that discourse analysis, by its whole nature,
is incapable of analysing an isolated sentence like this apart from the
whole discourse. The other simple answer is that I feel under no
obligation to spend time on a verse like this just because you ask me
to. I have stated before and now state it again, that I do not propose
to get into discussion of any individual verses, neither this one nor
the 1 Kings verses you mention in your other posting. My concern here is
not for the details but for the methodology.

You seem to think I was accusing you of discrediting a hypothesis. I did
not. I was pointing out to Moon that your single counter-example was not
enough to invalidate Hatav's hypothesis.

Peter Kirk