b-hebrew - Re: BR)$YT, vorlage

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Charles David Isbell" <cisbell AT cox.net>
  • To: "Glenn Blank" <glennblank AT earthlink.net>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: BR)$YT, vorlage
  • Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 11:34:30 -0400

Glenn Blank asks: "Please help someone with absolutely no background in
source criticism: what
is the definition of "vorlage." I only know the term in the context of
skiing, and can't cipher how the metaphor might apply to textual
genealogies."

Glenn,
"Vorlage" is a German word that means something like a model, or a prototype
["lying in front of"]. In textual criticism, it helps to remember that
copies of the biblical text were being made by hand. So when we read a
document, we can often tell by certain choices of form or vocabulary, or
even of structure and content, which earlier version of a text the copyist
had before him.
In general terms, we can tell whether the Vorlage of a textual copy was the
Massoretic Text, the Samaritan text, the Hebrew text on which the LXX seems
to have been based, etc.
Hope this helps,
Charles David Isbell