b-hebrew - RE: Hosea 12:4

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Hosea 12:4
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 11:11:54 -0500

Dear Ted,
It's a question of the versions.
Now by versions, I don't mean exetetical traditions or Freudian
theory. I mean the very earliest manuscripts that are available.
For example, what is written in the Dead Sea Scroll text of Hosea,
or what do the early Greek manuscripts have, what does the Samaritan
text have. IT must be rememembered that these texts were maintained
by scribes, copying the texts over and over. Errors creep in,
and are then copied by the next copiest. Prior to the discovery
of the Dead Sea Scrolls, the earliest versions of the MT (Masoretic
Text, the text of the HEbrew Bible which everyone uses, but whose
vowel pointing was added by the Masoretes in Tiberius)was the
Allepo Codex (around 900 ce, I think, and not complete - I should
check this), the second earliest is the Leningrad Codex (I can't
remember the date, off-hand, and I'm too lazy to check it, 1100 ce maybe).
In any case, if there is no Hosea manuscript among the Dead Sea Scrolls
the Greek text will be far earlier than any Hebrew text. In that
case, it is worthwhile to consider if the Greek provides a better
testimony of the original Hebrew than the Hebrew manuscripts that
we have. Here, the Greek texts have "him". Now the usual rule of
thumb in a case like this is to prefer the more difficult reading.
The more difficult reading would be the MT, us. But if the us
doesn't make sense,and the Greek does make sense, many translators
go with the Greek, and footnote the HEbrew.
Hope this sheds some light on the subject.
Liz