b-hebrew - SV: The Case Against a Hellenistic Primary History

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Thomas L. Thompson" <tlt AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: 'Walter Mattfeld' <mattfeld AT mail.pjsnet.com>, Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: SV: The Case Against a Hellenistic Primary History
  • Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 09:50:46 +0200

Dear Walter,
I am uncertain what the goal of your reflections are: particularly in what
you mean by a "Hellenistic primary history". By "primary history" I assume
you mean something related to the narratives of Genesis--> 2 Kings,
understood somewhat as a single coherent work, but I don't know how you
would understand such work's genre, and in particular its relationship to a
tradition of other compositions. Nor am I clear whether you allow for any
history of redaction. And what do you mean by Hellenistic? Is it a cultural,
ideological or chronological term?

I understand your question about the town names, but I am a little uncertain
how you are applying it. You are building a case "against" something, but it
is very unclear what that is.
Thomas