b-hebrew - RE: The Case Against a Hellenistic Primary History

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Walter Mattfeld" <mattfeld AT mail.pjsnet.com>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: The Case Against a Hellenistic Primary History
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 10:28:37 +0100

Walter, the middle ground you are trying to occupy can be uncomfortable,
especially when you are attacked from both sides. But let's rephrase the
sentence below:

Tradition tells us Moses wrote the greater part of the Pentateuch (excluding
some passages which have long been accepted as later additions), but a
careful reading of Genesis reveals the presence of place names which are
commonly or traditionally identified with places and sites for which there
is no surviving evidence that they came into being before the 8th-7th
centuries, so there is some reason to cast doubt on the tradition that Moses
wrote this.

Peter Kirk

<snip>

> ... Tradition tells us Moses wrote the Pentateuch, but a
> careful reading of Genesis reveals the presence of places and sites that
> came into being only in 8th-7th centuries times, so we know he
> didn't write
> this...

<snip>