b-hebrew - Re: Psalm104:34a

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Psalm104:34a
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 07:07:18 -0500

Dear Ian,

>Has anyone got any insight into the literal
>translation of Psalm 104:34a?
>One popular translation says 'may my meditation upon
>him be sweet', or something very near.
>But whilst 'meditation upon him' may be straight
>forward 'yerev' is not. Any thoughts?

>p.s. Like many around the world at the moment, England
>and the south east where I come from, is very much in
>deepest sympathy with our American cousins and also
>very much in prayer for you all. May our meditation
>upon him indeed be sweet.

HH: Thank you for the kind words about the loss of life in America, and for
your prayer. People here were moved by the fact that yesterday at
Buckingham Palace at the changing of the guard they played the American
national anthem for the first time. We are grateful for our friends in
England.

As for 'yerev," the NIV has, "May my meditation be pleasing to him."

According to the BDB lexicon, the verb can mean " be sweet" or, "be
pleasing," and for this verse the lexicon chooses "be pleasing."

Yours,
Harold Holmyard
Dallas, TX, USA

  • Psalm104:34a, ian goldsmith, 09/14/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Psalm104:34a, Harold R. Holmyard III, 09/14/2001