b-hebrew - SV: Isaiah Query

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Søren Holst <sh AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: SV: Isaiah Query
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 12:29:54 +0200

Hi Peter

Well, I'll gladly take back the word absurdity. And the John passage is not
a completely parallel case, you're right. My point was that you seemed to
imply there are certain universally accepted and adhered-to rules as to what
is acceptable in christian Bible translations - which I don't think there
are. Christian translators make their translations fit their liturgical and
terminological habits and traditions to no smaller degree than the very
intersting case of these four books of the Hebrew Bible.

cordially
Soren