b-hebrew - Re: Isaiah Query

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Numberup AT worldnet.att.net
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Isaiah Query
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 15:20:20 -0700

I also just finished reading Isaiah 66, as part of a program to read the
Bible through
in a year, beginning with Genesis 1:1 on January 1. The Stone Edition
of the Tanach
which, like the JPS is a Jewish translation, also repeats the
penultimate verse and
has this note on the matter:

"It is customary, during public readings of Isaiah, to repeat the
penultimate verse.
This is done in order to end the reading on a positive note. The same
custom is also
followed at the conclusion of Malachi, Lamentatins, and Ecclesiastes
(Rashi)."

Thus, it appears that this is a feature of Jewish versions, based on
public reading.

Solomon Landers