b-hebrew - Re: HEYLEL in Isa 14:12

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Daniel Wagner" <dan.wagner AT netzero.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: HEYLEL in Isa 14:12
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 18:38:13 -0400

Via Latin Vulgate into English: "quomodo cecidisti de caelo lucifer qui mane
oriebaris corruisti in terram qui vulnerabas gentes." Why the Latin was
transliterated into English and thus preserved as a non-Hebrew proper name,
i've no idea! Make no sense whatsoever to me.
But, the word must definitely reference the Devil, since of course Lucifer
was the Devil, as we all know (i speak as a fool).

Dan Wagner