b-hebrew - Re: HEYLEL.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kevin W. Woodruff" <cierpke AT prodigy.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: HEYLEL.
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 18:07:40 -0400

Bill:

Heylel is a noun which comes from a verb halal (used in Job 29:3 and other
places) which means "to shine. It refers to the morning star (traditionally
the planet Venus). Some think it may also refer to the crescent moon.
The LXX transllated it as EWSPHOROS, "morning star" and Jerome translated it
as "Lucifer" (light bearer) which means "morning star" in Latin.

Only later did Lucifer come to mean by extension "Satan" or "the devil"

Kevin

At 10:18 AM 6/25/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>To all:
>
>How did we get from the hebrew HEYLEL in Is. 14.12 where I understand the
>hebrew to be, "O shining star", and some translate Lucifer?
>
>Shalom,
>BILL
>
>---
>You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: [cierpke AT prodigy.net]
>To unsubscribe, forward this message to
$subst('Email.Unsub')
>To subscribe, send an email to join-b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu.

Kevin W. Woodruff, M. Div.
Library Director/Reference Librarian
Professor of New Testament Greek
Cierpke Memorial Library
1815 Union Ave.
Chattanooga, Tennessee 37404
United States of America
423/493-4252 (office)
423/698-9447 (home)
423/493-4497 (FAX)
Cierpke AT prodigy.net (preferred)
kwoodruf AT utk.edu (alternate)
http://pages.prodigy.net/cierpke/woodruff.htm

  • HEYLEL., Bill Niswonger, 06/25/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: HEYLEL., Kevin W. Woodruff, 06/25/2001
    • Re: HEYLEL., Ben Crick, 06/25/2001