b-hebrew - Re: Isaiah 40:26/Stafford/Landers/Humpal

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Numberup AT worldnet.att.net
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Isaiah 40:26/Stafford/Landers/Humpal
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 13:21:39 -0700

Thank you for the inside information. It contrasts with idle speculation
about the
NWT's translation at Isa 40:26. It is refreshing, and the sort of thing
scholars
should welcome. In an earlier post, I myself affirmed that the expression
"dynamic
energy" has no intrinsic connection with physics, nor Einstein's popular
theorem. But
"dynamic energy" is an acceptable translation of "'ownim" because it means
essentially
the same thing as the more common translations of "might, power, force,
strength,"
etc. It is a different phrasing, even an innovative phrasing, but the
meaning does
not change. I have purchased and read scores of Bible translations over the
years,
and new ways of saying the same thing, so long as grammatically or
contextually
warranted, are not solely the feature of one translation. Nor is it generally
condemned, but commended. I note that the new Torah translation by Everett
Fox, _The
Five Books of Moses_ (Schocken, 1995) is lauded specifically for its "fresh
insights,"
verbal "excitement" and "bracing protest against...bland modernity of all the
recent
English versions of the Bible." (Jacket)

I think this discussion could have been progressive if it had dealt with
grammatical
concerns and had avoided thinly disguised theological bias.

Solomon Landers