b-hebrew - On "bad form"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: GregStffrd AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Cc: montyself AT byhisgrace.com
  • Subject: On "bad form"
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 12:34:27 EDT

In a message dated 06/16/2001 7:07:06 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
montyself AT byhisgrace.com writes:

<< In closing I feel the need to make a response to Greg Stafford. It is bad
form to accuse a person of inappropriate scholarship and then make
inappropriate scholarly remarks to that person. >>

It's called responsibility. If a person veers off track and makes horribly
inaccurate and misleading comments about one's religion and favored
translation of the Bible, then it is a duty of the other to correct the error
if possible. It is bad form to criticize the correction of horrific error.
His scholarship on the issues raised was very bad, and his methods of
presentation equally troubling.

<< It is possible that Dave
Humpal is incorrect about his assessment of the NWT as a whole and it is
even more likely that his assessment of the NWT and its translator only has
indirect influence upon the determination of "Dynamic Energy" being a good
translation of "WYNM", but this is no grounds for implying that he is a poor
Reverend or that he is unobjective. >>>

This was not the grounds on which I suggested that a Reverend would act in
some other manner. You need to read more carefully before you make these
kinds of misleading comments about another person. It only compounds the
problem, and forces me to take time away from other pursuits to correct it.
My comments were very clearly in relation to his comments about issues
pertaining to the F. W. Franz trial, his knowledge of Hebrew, and his
inferences about his knowledge of Greek as well as that of the other
committee members. None of what he had to say in any way helped us appreciate
why NWT translated Isa. 40:26 the way it did.

For anyone, but especially one who makes it known that he is a man of God, to
make the kinds of comments he made is shameful. That you would argue in his
behalf after what he said and the way he said it, is remarkable and very bad
form.

<< Please note that Greg Stafford writes
misleading people about the translation skills of certain people, is not an
endearing quality. It is certainly not something one would expect from a
Reverend." Earlier Greg wrote, "But that is not the only training available,
and I think if anyone with an objective mind looks critically at the NWT OT,
he/she will find a very high level of scholarship." I am please that I can
tell the Philosophy professor at my institution that his students can see a
prime example of the classical Aristotelian logical fallacy of NAME CALLING
on my Hebrew list serve. >>

You might also tell them that you imagined such names were called. I see no
names at all in the above. Can you point them out? I spoke of qualities that
are not befitting a person claiming to be a Reverend. You obviously disagree,
but provide no basis in fact for your disagreement. Do you further claim that
Dave not make inaccurate statements, off-base claims, and mislead people by
what he said? That was my claim, and I backed it up with data.

<< Unfortunately, this discussion is about Isaiah 40:26. Being that I am
interested in a discussion about the level of Hebrew scholarship in the NWT,
my next post will be about just that! >>

Good. Let's get to it and we will evaluate your level of scholarship in
dealing with the NWT, even as you evaluate the NWT's scholarship.

But please refrain from inventing ideas about me calling others names, when
what I said fits the situation, and was an entirely appropriate response. (I
have had enough of others on this forum making up ideas about what I said,
apparently just because I come from a less-than-popular religious
perspective. But I will not let them, or you, distort what I SAY.)

The fact that a correction of error often results in making the person who
puts forth the error look less than enviable is not my problem. It is the
problem of the person who callously and blatantly steered off topic and dove
head first into an area that made what he said open to question and
refutation.

Best regards,

Greg Stafford

  • On "bad form", GregStffrd, 06/16/2001