b-hebrew - RE: yqtl patterns and Anson Rainey

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: <Bearpecs AT aol.com>
  • Cc: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: yqtl patterns and Anson Rainey
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 18:03:35 +0100

Indeed the prophetic QATAL is important. Such things show how my table is
oversimplified. But I don't see the distinction between this and the normal

YIQTOL future as aspectual. It would certainly be wrong to identify the
perfective future with QATAL; it was one of Randall's main points that
future YIQTOL is not necessarily imperfective. Maybe someone else can
clarify what the distinction is.

Peter Kirk