b-hebrew - RE: yqtl patterns and Anson Rainey

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: yqtl patterns and Anson Rainey
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 23:27:02 +0100

Well, I don't know if I am confused or not, but...

It seems to me that Randall is basically saying something like this:

The forms QATAL and WAYYIQTOL are used when both the aspect is perfective
and the tense is past.

The forms YIQTOL and WEQATAL are used when either the aspect is imperfective
or the tense is non-past.

The participle is used when the tense is present and the aspect is
imperfective, but continuous rather than habitual.

Or is it something like this table?

Past Present Future

Perfective QATAL N/A YIQTOL
WAYYIQTOL WEQATAL

Imperfective YIQTOL participle YIQTOL
continuous WEQATAL WEQATAL

Imperfective YIQTOL YIQTOL YIQTOL
habitual WEQATAL WEQATAL WEQATAL

I am sure this is a serious oversimplification. But am I getting somewhere
close? I note that this is similar to Greek (but not Russian or English) in
that aspect distinctions are not made in the future. The difference is that
tense distinctions are not made fully in the imperfective.

Peter Kirk