b-hebrew - Re: reading hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Kim Fleming <kfleming AT wctel.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: reading hebrew
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 21:05:39 -0400

Thanks to all who responded to my questions. It sounds as though it will be
worth my time to "retrain" my brain to recognize the vocalized hebrew as
well as I now recognize the "visual" hebrew. I found when I wrote out some
transliterations for others to vocally quiz me on vocab, I often had to
"see" the word in my head before I could give the definition - recognizing
the words on paper is no problem for me. I think with practice it will begin
to come naturally - on a smaller scale, the hebrew alphabet now comes
naturally, whereas before I was constantly mentally swapping the letters I
was used to with the hebrew characters.

Yes, as far as lexicons, I almost exclusively use the BDB, it's the only one
I've got for now. And I do enjoy several translations including the New JPS
version.

Being quite new to this language, I thank those who kindly responded to what
I was afraid may be a trivial question.

Kim