b-hebrew - Re: the law of mankind

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Bearpecs AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: the law of mankind
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 04:55:21 EDT

dan.wagner AT netzero.net writes:
The revelation given in the Davidic Covenant was thus applicable more to
mankind generally

I don't see any indication that this is supported by the text anywhere.  The
Davidic Covenant was about the dynasty ruling a kingdom. What prpohets made
of it later is something different.  (I'm now reading Frank Moore Cross'
_Canaanite Myth and Hebrew Epic_  and he discusses the topic at length,
Chapter 9, pp. 219-273.)

Perhaps verses 19-21 can be split differently:

Moreover you regarded this as minor, my lord Y-HWH;
  and have promised Your servant's dynasty for the future.
This is [Your] law for mortals, my lord Y-HWH;
  and what more can David say to you?
since You have acknowledged your servant, my lord Y-HWH;
  In Your words and intent You having done this great thing of recognizing
Your servant.

But of course, it may also be that the II Samuel text has been "corrected"
(prior to LXX) and the I Chronicles text is more original albeit corrupted.
Perhaps the intent is more something like "You will cause me to be seen as a
person lifted up", or more idiomatically, "You will see to it that I am an
exalted personage."  (Note BHS comment on watar'eni instead of ur'ithani.)