b-hebrew - Re: the law of mankind

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: John Ronning <ronning AT xsinet.co.za>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: the law of mankind
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 06:43:22 +0200

Raymond de Hoop wrote:

> John,
>
> In your interpretation I've found no explanation of to
> what <Hebr> WZ)T <endH> in verse 19c refers. This seems
> crucial to me, because we find this word also in verse
> 19a. There <Hebr> Z)T <endH>(v. 19a) refers to the
> preceding words in verse 18bc:

Raymond,

I take the first *zo't* in v. 19 ("this was small in your
sight, O Lord GOD") as referring to what God has already
done for David (agreeing with the end of v. 18). I take the
second *zo't* as referring to what God has spoken concerning
what he will do for David into the distant future. Thus far
we are probably in agreement.

I interpret *zo't torat ha'adam* to mean that the content of
the revelation of the future is along the pattern of the
commission given to Adam and Eve in the past, the
fulfillment of which was put off into the future by their
fall into sin. David recognizes that its fulfillment is now
connected to him, so we can see why he was in such amazement
at the promise given to him - he is basically being elevated
to the status of the patriarchs.

I think the difficulty I would have with your interpretation
is that you have to explain how David takes the revelation
as something applicable to *ha'adam* i.e. mankind in
general, as opposed to just Israel.

Regards,

John