b-hebrew - Re: SV: QohSV: Qoheleth

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Bearpecs AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: SV: QohSV: Qoheleth
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 04:54:56 EDT

In a message dated 5/22/01 9:51:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tlt AT teol.ku.dk
writes:
Although I find it difficult to assign
> dates to such complex secondary literature as we find in the Pentateuch,
> the Psalter and Isaiah because of their collective nature, I do think we
> have been able to establish on the basis of other texts what is often
> referred to as Late Biblical Hebrew

I think we must also keep in mind the likelihood that scribes and redactors
"modernized" some of their source material.  Cross and Freedman discussed the
implications of this vis-a-vis orthography, but is it not possible that in
prose (less likely in poetry, of course) archaic words were sometimes
replaced by more contemporary ones?

Hayyim