b-hebrew - RE: Exodus 3:14 -- Request for Moderator Action

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: <GregStffrd AT aol.com>, <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Exodus 3:14 -- Request for Moderator Action
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 14:45:51 +0100

Greg, do you not know the difference between a request not to do something
and an accusation of having done so? I think you need to learn this
difference between these things in English before trying to understand the
Hebrew Bible.

I apologise to you that some with an inadequate understanding of English may
have misunderstood my statement as an accusation. I am not going to
apologise for something which I did not intend as an accusation and which is
not written in the form of an accusation, rather of a polite request.

I do apologise if I failed to understand the subtle distinctions you were
making between the purpose of this particular discussion and the general
purpose of the list.

I have already apologised for writing that Stoney "probably knows English
better than you do". I hope you can accept this apology.

I understand that you do not wish to answer Stoney's point about
"storytelling". He is an expert on this matter, and has stated his point.
You are free not to respond if you wish, but if you do wish to, you should
do so by reasoned arguments and not by rubbishing the whole method of
literary criticism, as you do when you write '"storytelling" of this kind
(marked by irritation in the reply) has not been shown to relate to anything
in the text or context?' Surely literary criticism relates to all
literature, and "storytelling" insights to all narratives? Well, this sounds
a bit like laying down the law, and I don't want to do that. This paragraph
is my recommendation to you. If the moderators have other feelings on this,
I will be glad to hear them.

Peter Kirk

<snip>

> No, you said no such thing. You wrote:
>
> Peter:
> << But please don't
> retreat into the ad hominem type of argument "I know more Hebrew than you
> do, therefore I am right". >>
>

> This has no relationship to *anything* I wrote. You wrote nothing about
> 'getting close to' or 'implying' such a thing. You came right out
> and made a
> terribly inaccurate and irresponsible comment that has no relationship to
> anything I wrote. I said nothing even remotely approaching such a
> 'retreat,'
> or a claim such as "I know more Hebrew than you, therefore I am right."

<snip>