b-hebrew - RE: Qoheleth

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Raymond de Hoop" <rdehoop AT keyaccess.nl>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Qoheleth
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 22:40:23 +0100

The problem we then have is that we have no evidence (apart from very
limited archaeological material which is mostly arguing from silence) about
your historical Solomon, if he is not the same as the Solomon presented in
the Bible. In fact we don't even know which historical age to put him in,
unless we take the datings in Kings very literally. The more conventional
dating is Iron Age IIA, but one scholar has suggested Late Bronze IIA, a
contemporary of Pharaoh Haremheb. This earlier dating might be a better
setting for the author of Proverbs and Qoheleth.

I accept that there is the possibility of arguing on linguistic grounds that
Kings does reflect the historical Solomon but Qoheleth does not, but any
argument that Qoheleth does not match a reconstructed historical Solomon
falls immediately on the speculative nature of that reconstructed Solomon.

To put it simply, in the absence of extra-Biblical evidence, either (as Dave
Washburn seems to hold) the historical Solomon is the same as the literary
Solomon; or else (as Thomas Thompson seems to hold) we have no historical
Solomon, only a literary one. I don't see a tenable middle ground.

Peter Kirk