b-hebrew - RE: I AM

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Trevor & Julie Peterson" <speederson AT erols.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: I AM
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 22:11:51 -0400

It's an interesting suggestion, and one that I've never heard. But I don't
know that I'm sold on it just yet. First, it seems like the standard way to
identify oneself in BH is through a verbless clause:
)a:NI or )aaNooKI + PN. Granted, if He had said, )a:NI )eHYE, this would be
potentially confused with the usual construction for a general present; but
I suppose it's questionable whether anyone would have seriously expected a
general present ("I exist as a general rule") used in an assertion of
self-existence, so the oddity would probably have suggested some other
meaning. The follow-up instruction, which uses
)eHYE as a fronted subject, would also help to clarify that it is
functioning as a noun, rather than a verb. For that matter, I would think a
clearer statement on the order of the follow-up instruction would have
sufficed to make the point. I'm not saying your suggestion is out of the
question, but you have to admit that it's an odd way to form a predication.
Do you know of any other instances where )a:$eR is used this way?

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics

[snipped]