b-hebrew - RE: I AM

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: I AM
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 20:42:04 -0400

How about "I am becomming what I am becomming"?

Good explanation, Uri.

It was explained to me that the ancient Semite experienced
life as though a rower on a row-boat. He sees the past
perfectly; the present (if he turns his head) is past/has passed in an
eye-blink. The future he sees not at all.
Thus, we have a perfect tense for the past,
and an imperfect one for everything else.

Liz Fried