b-hebrew - Re: virgin: _BETHULAH_ and/or _(ALMAH_

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Moshe Shulman <mshulman AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: virgin: _BETHULAH_ and/or _(ALMAH_
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 13:41:09 -0500

At 12:08 PM 1/31/01 -0600, Christian M. M. Brady wrote:
On 1/31/01 11:07 AM, "Moshe Shulman" <mshulman AT ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> At 09:33 PM 1/30/01 -0500, Shoshanna Walker wrote:
>>> Mehullelet (a woman who has been profaned). Incidently Moshe Shulman is
>>> perfectly right that when the Ketuba was a real contract and not a
>>> ceremonial one,
>> I never disputed this, the Ketuba IS a legal document, and I never ever
>> said or implied that it was a ceremonial one. Not at all. And the word
>> Betula was used to denote a woman not previously married, because her
>> LEGAL status and rights according to Ketuba and the rabbis who instituted
>> it, are different than those of a woman who was already married and
>> widowed or divorced.
>> The Ketuba was not a document whose purpose was to morally judge a woman's
>> virtue - the rabbis were wise enough then, to leave that as a private matter.
> I am sorry but you are just wrong. A women who is found out not to have
> been a virgin (and in Jewish law there is a description) can be divorced
> the next day and lose all benifit from the ketubah. You just do not know
> what you are talking about. This appears in the talmud and in Shulchan
> Aruch. It may be that you are not aware of any people who still take it
> seriously. But there are.
But today presumably one would still need to get the civil authorities to
annul the marriage, yes?

That is not hard to do.

moshe shulman mshulman AT NOSPAMix.netcom.com 718-436-7705
CHASSIDUS.NET - Yoshav Rosh http://www.chassidus.net
Chassidus shiur: chassidus-subscribe AT chassidus.net
Chassidus discussion list: chassidus-subscribe AT egroups.com
Outreach Judaism http://www.outreachjudaism.org/
ICQ# 52009254 Yahoo/MSN Messaging: mosheshulman