b-hebrew - RE: virgin: _BETHULAH_ and/or _(ALMAH_

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: RE: virgin: _BETHULAH_ and/or _(ALMAH_
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 22:04:04 -0500

I am not saying that the word does not mean virgin in some contexts

I am saying that it does not mean virgin in ALL contexts, including Ketuba

The word is used to denote a woman who was not previously married. Everyone is free to assume, or not, as they wish, if this means necessarily, that she is a "virgin" or not.

Shoshanna

Shoshana,
The topic under discussion is not the meaning, history,
or sources of ketubot.
The topic is simply the meaning of the word betulah.
You have shown that the word is used in ketubot, and it
is used even if the woman is not technically a virgin.
You have not provided any evidence that even tho the word is
used for women who are not virgins, that the word therefore does
not mean virgin.
In fact, you have shown it does mean virgin. You have stated that
it is not used for women who have previously been married.
You have also stated that it is not used for unmarried women who
have children. Therefore one could conclude that rabbis, husbands,
friends, etc. are going to assume that an unmarried woman
without chidlren is a virgin even if there is no evidence of a
betulim/hymen.
This is because, as you have stated, there are other reasons for losing
one's hymen.

On a side note, a friend of mine, Kenneth Stow, was doing research on
a Jewish archive from medieval Vienna I think. He found quite a few cases
where young girls 3 on up were brought to doctors to be verified that their
hymens were not intact. Stow conjectured that this was so that if there
was no betulim on their wedding night, they will already have the
certificate from
the doctor that their hymans were broken naturally.

Liz