b-hebrew - RE: Question Concerning Inspiration

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Ian Hutchesson" <mc2499 AT mclink.it>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Question Concerning Inspiration
  • Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 13:42:09 +0400

Well, if you have to go through some other realm (or by sea) to get from
Israel to Kuntillat Ajrud, you pay your money (literally!) and you take your
choice. The coastal plain would be easier for travel than the highlands of
Judah. Who knows which would have been cheaper? And whichever way you go
(apart from through Moab), I guess, KA is en route from Israel to Eilat.
(But could KA be en route from Israelite-controlled Moab to Egypt?) Don't
forget there was no Suez canal as a short cut from the coastal plain to
Eilat! So much for your "the only rational way for Israelites to get there
[KA] is straight through this hypothesized Jerusalem territory".

As for the 6-chambered gates in the 10th century, which "indicate that they
were built by the same realm." This looks like confirmation of the Biblical
account, which indicates that Judah and Israel were one at this time. You
continue, "In this case that realm was Israel, for we know that Megiddo and
Hazor were Israelite." But what 10th century evidence do we have for that
which rules out the alternative that they were under the control of Judah at
that time? As for Jerusalem being a village, you cannot be sure of that as
you have no answer to the hypothesis that all remains from this period
(including perhaps similar gates) were cleared away, or buried deeply,
during the building of the platform of Herod's temple.

By the way, what has this discussion to do with Biblical Hebrew? Not much if
you are rejecting the evidence from the BH text!

Peter Kirk