b-hebrew - BHS, WTT, & L

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Don A. Elbourne Jr." <delbourne AT home.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: BHS, WTT, & L
  • Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 10:44:12 -0600

I was wondering if someone could clarify a few things for me regarding the
Hebrew text.

I know the BHS is "based" on Codex Leningradensis but is the text
consistently L throughout, without exception? Or is there any place where
the editors placed a variant in the text and attest to the L reading in the
apparatus?

A follow-up to this question is in regard to WTT, the electronic Hebrew text
that comes with many bible software packages such as Logos and BibleWorks.
Is that text identical to L and the BHS text? Of-course WTT does not have
the apparatus of the printed BHS, but I'm referring only to the main text
itself.

The reason I'm asking is because Logos Research Systems has announced their
plans to place the Leningrad Codex into electronic format. See
http://www.logos.com/prepub/products/default.asp?pid=11 Apparently they will
be working with the facsimile edition that came out a couple of years ago.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0802837867/zacksbookorama

I've been working under the assumption that I have the full text of L at my
disposal with the printed BHS, and the digital WTT. Am I showing my
ignorance here? If I'm correct, then what would be the advantage of the new
Logos edition, if the text would be the same as we already have with
BHS/WTT? I'm assuming the only advantage would be that Logos would be
getting out from under whatever licensing agreement they have with the
owners of WTT. The resulting text would be virtually identical barring any
input errors.

Any light that could be shed on this issue would be appreciated.

Don A. Elbourne Jr.
http://elbourne.simplenet.com

  • BHS, WTT, & L, Don A. Elbourne Jr., 10/31/2000