b-hebrew - RE: Pointing and canonical authority

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Henry Churchyard" <churchh AT usa.net>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Pointing and canonical authority
  • Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 11:02:46 -0500

Thank you, Henry, for this interesting point. But oddly enough it doesn't
affect my argument as much as one might think. For, since I am not a
phonologist like you, I am interested not so much in pronunciation as in
meaning. Meaning persists with the written form of the text even as
pronunciation changes. I understand that the pointing which we have in MT
represents the pronunciation at that late period. But the changes which led
to that pronunciation were part of a natural linguistic change, as you say,
and the meaning of the text would have been preserved through this change
even as its outward form developed.

Peter Kirk