b-hebrew - Re: Biblical Aramaic

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Biblical Aramaic
  • Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 22:04:36 +0100

Lee R. Martin wrote,

>Dear Friends,
>I will be teaching Biblical Aramaic in the spring semester. Do you have
>suggestions for a textbook?
>Thank you. I already have _A Short Grammar of Biblical Aramaic_ by Alger
>F. Johns, 108 pages.

Dear Lee,

I think that both Johns and Rosenthal should be used, because they
complement one another. By the help of Johns it is easier for the student
to get an overview of the main structures and functions of these
structures. The advantage of Rosenthal is that he lists all the Aramaic
words of the Bible with references to particular paragraphs in his grammar.
This is very helpful for the student.

Regards

Rolf

Rolf Furuli