b-hebrew - Re: Re: SV: Elohim -- human or divine in Psalm 82?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Jeremy L. Sasser" <jlsasser AT fish.pair.com>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Re: SV: Elohim -- human or divine in Psalm 82?
  • Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 14:45:01 +0100

Although I agree with your doubts about LMB's thesis, the verse you quote
does not address the issue. This verse uses ELOHIM, not EL. These are
different names for God - well, EL is more of a name, ELOHIM is more of a
generic noun. Of course that doesn't mean that they are different gods, as
LMB is trying to argue, but it does take careful scholarship to refute him.
Though you can get a long way by noticing that if you call LMB "Lloyd", "Dr
Barre", and "the person I am replying to", you are not referring to three
different people but to one.

Peter Kirk