b-hebrew - Re: Re: Re: SV: Elohim -- human or divine in Psalm 82?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: barre AT freedsl.com
  • To: jlsasser AT fish.pair.com
  • Cc: biblical hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Re: Re: SV: Elohim -- human or divine in Psalm 82?
  • Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 15:55:14 -0700

The text you cite is likely from 7th century Judah. El seems to have
fallen out of favor after the withdrawal of the north under
Rehoboam. But that El continued is clearly shown from a text from
Kuntillet Ajrud where El now appears with Baal. Furthermore, it is
quite clear from the Ugaritic material that El is not Yahweh anymore
than he is Baal and it does not do to say that there were many Elim
floating around. I cannot here go into my reconstruction of the
history of Israelite religion, but I will recommend that you take a
look at a website essay entitled, "El, god of Israel--Yahweh, god of
Judah." There are also several other essays there touching on this
topic. The home page is:

Angelfire.com/ca2/AncientIsrael

Thank you.

LMB