b-hebrew - Re: vayyiqtol, assumption-rolf

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: vayyiqtol, assumption-rolf
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 19:31:44 +0200

Dear Dave,

The clause "He run to the door." is durative and telic.

The clause "She sang one staccato note." seems odd to me, we don't sing
notes but melodies or songs. but I am no native speaker.

If it can be interpreted as "She ran for a second.", it is not odd. This
clause has the meaning that she, during this second, moved her feet along
the ground (which is on definition of "to run"), and then it would be
durative. Similarly, "She sang one staccato note for a second" would be
durative.

If it has the same force as *"She run one step.", it is odd, and can be
ignored.

>Rolf,
>
>Could you give a constructed
>> example of a sentence that would demonstrate a punctual use of 'run' or
>> 'sing'?
>
>"He ran to the door." "She sang one staccato note."

Ragards Rolf

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo