b-hebrew - Re: Infamous Ugaritic text: an eclipse

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ian Hutchesson <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Infamous Ugaritic text: an eclipse
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 04:26:16 +0200

At 12.35 28/06/00 +0100, you wrote:
>Thank you, Ian. Sorry if I missed this point earlier.
>
>If I understand you correctly, your translation would include a logical link
>(which you might or might not mke explicit) something like:
>
>"The day was ashamed... IN THAT the sun went in..."
>
>That is indeed a possible inference. But why do you rule out what to me is
>also a possible inference:
>
>"The day was ashamed... WHEN the sun went in..."?
>
>In my opinion, both are possible, neither can be ruled out a priori. So you
>need to bring proper arguments for why you prefer one to the other.

If we work on the notion that b++ is related to shame, how exactly was the
day put to shame? Were there strange mists all day? Was it incredibly cold
for the time of year? Was there a layer of volcanic dust in the sky? Was a
priest or king assassinated? Did the sun grow dim or disappear?

No extra grammatical item is needed to connect the second clause with the
first in a causal relationship: mere juxtaposition is sufficient.

It was shocked. My wife drank a glass of whisky.

While it would be natural to see a causal relationship, but, without time
phraseology, there is nothing which would stimulate the notion that there
is a temporal relationship involved.

Ian