b-hebrew - Re: Infamous Ugaritic text: an eclipse

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Infamous Ugaritic text: an eclipse
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 12:35:21 +0100

Thank you, Ian. Sorry if I missed this point earlier.

If I understand you correctly, your translation would include a logical link
(which you might or might not mke explicit) something like:

"The day was ashamed... IN THAT the sun went in..."

That is indeed a possible inference. But why do you rule out what to me is
also a possible inference:

"The day was ashamed... WHEN the sun went in..."?

In my opinion, both are possible, neither can be ruled out a priori. So you
need to bring proper arguments for why you prefer one to the other.

Peter Kirk