b-hebrew - Re: What was Saul doing - 1 Sam. 24:3

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben Crick)
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: What was Saul doing - 1 Sam. 24:3
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 22:04:25 +0100

On Wed 31 May 2000 (14:39:40), music AT riverviewcog.org wrote:
> 1. What was Saul doing in 1 Sam. 24:3 - the NIV says, "relieve
> himself"?

My wife is in a nursing home at the present time following surgery. When I
visit her, she sometimes lies down to take the weight off her feet, or to
"relieve herself". She then asks me to cover her feet with a cloth or a
blanket; to "cover her feet". No mystery about that!

The modern English versions seem to imply that Saul went into the cave to
urinate and/or defecate. If this were the case, it is doubtful that he would
want to lie down and have a sleep just there (Deuteronomy 23:12-13).

> 2. What other options are their for understanding L:HFS"K: )ET RAG:LFYN

As suggested above, he slipped his cloak off his shoulders and lay down upon
it, turning over the hem so as to "cover his feet". Compare Boaz in Ruth
3:4-10. He and his workers were camping out by the threshing-floor. They lay
down to sleep on their cloaks in just such a manner. There is no suggestion
that toileting or sexual activity is taking place (verse 10).

Just my 2c. I leave others to answer your 3. and 4.

Shalom w:kol tob
Ben
--
Revd Ben Crick, BA CF