b-hebrew - uncover that nakedness!! :-)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jason Hare" <parousia_occ AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew
  • Subject: uncover that nakedness!! :-)
  • Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 5:24:51

In Vayiqra (Leviticus) 18, there is a long string of commands concerning
"unlawful sexual relations." I found it interesting to see that in the HB
it reads in verse 7:

(ER:WAT )FBIYKF W:(ER:WAT )IM.:KF LO) T:GAL."H
(that is, 'ervat 'aviycha ve'ervat 'imcha lo' t'galeh) :-)

There it begins a long list of people with whom you should not have sexual
relations, or "uncover their nakedness." Does "uncover nakedness" in this
context necessarily mean "have sexual relations with"? I notice that the
LXX is consistent with the HB, for it reads:

ASCHMOSUNHN PATROS SOU KAI ASCHMOSUNHN MHTROS SOU OUK APOKALUYEI...

Interestingly, if that is the meaning of the idiom (for it seems to be
consistent all the way down the list), then why would it say not to uncover
the nakedness of your own father, like above?? Were the people in danger
of having sexual relationships with their own papas?? I should hope not.
And by the way, this is talking about men in the context (sleeping with
sisters, mothers, aunts, etc. and animals and other men). So it should be
odd if they were commanded not to sleep with their fathers. Just thought
that was interesting.

Jason Hare
parousia_occ AT yahoo.com