b-hebrew - Re: Transliteration

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: KELowery AT cs.com
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, Glenn Cook <pule67 AT hotmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: Transliteration
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 18:32:08 EST

On 28 Mar 2000, at 14:01, Glenn Cook wrote:

> I have just found this service and have enjoyed your arguments, but need
> enlightenment on your transliteration.

You can get all the details from our list's charter:
<http://metalab.unc.edu/bhebrew/>

For you convenience, I've copied the transliteration scheme to the end of
this
message.

> When I read Joseph's letter, for instance and he says: 1. In 1 Sam 1:28 some
> manuscripts read YI$:T.AX:AWW,

The Y is yodh, I is hiriq, $ is shin, . is dagesh, X is heth, :A is
chatef-patah, W
is waw, etc. Other people use modified versions of this. On our list, we
don't try to
enforce a single transliteration scheme (especially as we expect to leave
transliteration behind us in email software in just a couple more years...).
Just
keep the Hebrew text by you as you read, and most of the time it will be
clear.

It is a visual way of transliteration, which was developed in the early days
of
computing, when ASCII was all we had. The day is soon approaching when we as
a list
can assume everyone has an email client which can handle MIME, fonts, rich
text
formatting codes, etc. Then we'll have real Hebrew text! But we're a couple
of years
away from that, yet.

> I'm just an old man that sets in his study and reads and you are very busy
> students, so don't worry about this and only answer if you have the time.

Welcome aboard! We hope you enjoy the discussions and, even more, that you
will
profit from them!

Blessings,

Kirk
B-Hebrew Co-Chair

Consonants
Aleph ) or '
Beth B
Gimel G
Daleth D
Heh H
Waw W
Zayin Z
Cheth X
Teth +
Yod Y
Kaph K
Lamedh L
Mem M
Nun N
Samek S
Pe P
Ayin ( or `
Tsade C
Qoph Q
Resh R
Sin &
Shin $
Tav T

Vowels
Patah A
Qamets F
Segol E
Tsere "
Hireq I
Holem O
Qamets Chatuf F
Qibbuts U
Shureq W
. Shewa :
Hatef Patah :A
Hatef Segol :E
Hatef Qamets :F

Miscellaneous
Ketiv *
Qere **
Dagesh .
Meqqeph -

Kirk E. Lowery, Ph.D. Email: KELowery AT cs.edu
Associate Director Phone: 215-572-3854
The Westminster Hebrew Institute Fax: 215-887-5404
Westminster Theological Seminary
P.O. Box 27,009
Philadelphia, PA 19118