b-hebrew - Re: Isaiah 13-14

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Banyai Michael" <banyai AT t-online.de>
  • To: b-hebrew
  • Subject: Re: Isaiah 13-14
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 17:17:47

Tony Costa wrote:
> If Sargon II was king of the world power at the time,
> namely Assyria, I take it that he would also reign over Babylon, most likely
> a vassal natio to Assyria, much the same way Judah served Babylon before its
> ultimate destruction in 587 BCE. This however does not explain Isaiah's
> address to "Babylon" instead of "Assyria" unless one argues for an 'ex
> eventu' editorial hand.

This is not to outrule.

But Sargon was a real king of Babylon, I meant wearing the Babylonian
crown. He receives a place on the Babylonian kings list from 709 till 705,
till his death, what never happened with the king of Babylon in the
Judahite kings list.
The reason is that Sargon II was the direct ruler of Babylon till his death
with no vasal king ruling for him there.

Best regards,

Banyai Michael