b-hebrew - Re: Isaiah 13-14

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Banyai Michael" <banyai AT t-online.de>
  • To: b-hebrew
  • Subject: Re: Isaiah 13-14
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 14:19:57

Ian Charles Hutchesson wrote:

> Still away from Rome and books, but I understand the king of Isa14 to be
> Antiochus IV. I have seen numerous similarities in the description of that
> king in 2Macc and Daniel that are found in Isa14. And what has Mount Zaphon
> to do with Nebuchadnezzar?

Dear Ian. The king is Sargon II of Assyria. And that is for sure.
He died during the period, Isaiah wrote, 705, and was among others king of
Babylon. As we read in the letters to god from his son, Sargon died during
an Anatolian campaign. The body apparently went lost in battle and didn´t
receive any burial. Similar to Isaiah, isn´t it?

Best regards,