b-hebrew - Diachronic Studies, dating Hebrew (Tadmor)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Walter Mattfeld" <mattfeld AT mail.pjsnet.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Diachronic Studies, dating Hebrew (Tadmor)
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 07:31:56 +0100

Dear Liz,

You have offered a plausible explanation, that the Tadmor scenario "may have
been" a _later editing of the text_ in Late Hellenistic times (ca. 1st
century BCE or later).

The problem is, how do you prove that it is a "later editing" ? What can you
offer "as proof" that it is not a composition of the 1st century BCE ?

In practicablly every instance where I have offered to this list "historical
markers" (that being cities mentioned in Scripture, where archaeology has
established their foundation dates), when the dates are later than that of
the Bible's chronology, I constantly have thrown in my face that this is
only evidence of "later redactions" of the holy writings.

I ask of my critics, "prove to me" that these are later redactions.
Certainly there are ways available to scholars for determining when a later
redaction has occured. Show me the evidence. Until I see it, I will conclude
that the notion that all these historical markers are only "later
redactions", as _only assumptions_ upon the part of those who want to argue
for an ancient text, which in "my reality," is much younger (Persian to
Hellenistic).

All the best,

Walter

Walter Reinhold Warttig Mattfeld