b-hebrew - Diachronic Studies, dating Hebrew (Tadmor)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Walter Mattfeld" <mattfeld AT mail.pjsnet.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Diachronic Studies, dating Hebrew (Tadmor)
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 20:45:13 +0100

Tadmor is only a geographical site name appearing in the Assyrian annals. I
am aware of no Assyrian description of Tadmor as being "a city or village"
with structures. So it is quite possible that others on this list have
jumped to conclusions in assuming that the Assyrian Tadmor must possess
building structures, and that if Tadmor doesn't have these structures it
must be some other place that the Assyrians are speaking of.

must be of the 1st century BCE because that is when structures exist for
Tadmor, he has misunderstood the argument I presented.

Now it is of course possible that the Chronicler, hearing of a place called
Tadmor, misunderstood it to be a city, and ascribed it to Solomon's building
prowress, but I rather favor he was referring to the Late Hellenistic city,
famed as a trade city (Solomon being renowned for his trade activities)
founded by the 1st century BCE.

All the best,

Walter

Walter Reinhold Warttig Mattfeld