b-hebrew - Re[4]: S R Driver on Verb Tenses

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jonathan Bailey <jonathan.bailey AT gmx.de>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew list <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[4]: S R Driver on Verb Tenses
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 16:09:54 +0100

I see there is now somebody else on the list with as wacky a sense of humor
as me.

I never seriously considered buying a replacement. If the water damage were so
serious that I could not read the book, AND the books were so indespensable
that I
needed a replacement for ready reference, then it would probably be too
damaged to
be of use to you. Now I am not saying the book is not useful, but it is more
the sort of
thing one reads once, or spends a good bit of time digesting, and then puts
on the
shelf. If the book were destroyed, I probably would not have it replaced. As
it is,
however, the book only has peripherial wilting. Still quite readable. And
therefore, I am
not going to have it replaced. Again, it is not so wonderful that my copy
must be in
pristine condition.

In the future, you might let yourself be tipped off by winking smileys in my
mails, which
either signify that I have said something offensive and I want my reader to
take it in
fun, or that I have just said something ludicrous and would like my reader to
giggle.

Go ahead and pay the $10 to get it from the used bookstore. Or grab the
edition with
Garr's article in any seminary bookstore. The version I got is paperback, and
I think it
was less than $20. The ISBN is 0-8028-4160-0 if you want to check prices at
Amazon.com.

Sorry to get your hopes up. I was just joking around, and trying to convey
that it was a
good book.

"If there are many wisemen in a city, this means that the city will soon
fall."
Babylonian proverb

Jonathan Bailey
Hochschule für Jüdische Studien