b-hebrew - Re: Re[2]: Date of the Exodus (still shorter)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Re[2]: Date of the Exodus (still shorter)
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 22:18:54 -0700

Charles,
> I apologize for over-defensiveness and also if I attribute to you positions
> that you do not take. One of the problems with such a list is that I cannot
> always sort out exactly who said what. Sometimes it might be better if only
> two were dialoguing back and forth sequentially before others chimed in with
> their side lights. I am as guilty as anyone else here, so accept my part in
> a sometimes less-than-clear strand of argumentation.

I'm good at stating things in a less than clear fashion. I think a lot
of it has to do with the medium of email, which seems to engender
a rushed mindset. In any case, on with the show!

> I am glad to know that I have erred in painting you in with those who offer
> the unusually high pillar of fire to explain an unusually long column of
> Hebrews marching across the desert. I consider such an assumption to be the
> last refuge of the truly desperate.

Yes. I have no problem with the idea that there was a pillar of
cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night, but how high it was I have
no idea. I also get the feeling that there's something about the
figures in Exodus (and in Numbers as well, which I was reading
with a rather astonished eye a couple of days ago) that we simply
don't understand. Stuff like that is one aspect of the language that
stays interesting for me.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
Psalm 86:11