b-hebrew - Re[4]: Date of the Exodus (still shorter)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk"<peter_kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[4]: Date of the Exodus (still shorter)
  • Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 20:25:18 -0500

I plead guilty to suggesting a very tall pillar of fire. I was
suggesting this simply to point out a logical error in the argument of
someone else that no pillar of fire could be seen from 200 km away -
that is simply not true if the height of the pillar is not specified.
I did not intend to suggest that there was actually a pillar of fire
thousands of metres high at the time of the Exodus.

Actually it doesn't take a very high column of fire to be visible to 2
million, if they are spread out over a plain rather than in the narrow
column which someone suggested. In fact I live in a city of 2 million,
in the middle of which is an always burning "pillar" of fire (burnoff
from an oil refinery) which is clearly visible from almost all parts
of the city when there are no buildings in the way. Why march 10
abreast when there is no road but a broad desert? I express no opinion
on whether there actually were or were not 2 million people involved,
but I do not accept that the idea is totally ridiculous.

Peter Kirk