b-hebrew - Re[3]: YIQTOL with past meaning

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk"<peter_kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[3]: YIQTOL with past meaning
  • Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 23:18:20 -0500

Dear Rolf,

I don't have time to deal with this in detail tonight. A few points:

Sorry for the misunderstanding about semantic meaning. I remember now
that I realised before that you had failed to demonstrate ANY
distinctions of semantic meaning within the Hebrew verb system, and
seemed to have abandoned this quest. In that case, why not abandon
your seeming fixation with saying to others "But you have not
demonstrated the semantic meaning!" when you yourself can do no
better, and usually no-one is actually trying to claim that they have
demonstrated semantic meaning. I suggest we all just forget the
concept of semantic meaning, as you define it, in the context of the
Hebrew verb system, and instead discuss the things which can be
studied.

Then you write, "We should not associate any quality with the concept
"distance."". But we must do so if your definitions are to be
falisifiable. If your "FROM A SHORT DISTANCE" is so flexible as to
allow for periods as long as millennia, it then becomes quite
meaningless. If your definition is to be falsifiable, it requires some
kind of definition of "SHORT" which can be used for comparison, not I
agree in terms of a fixed period of time, but some clear indication of
what distances are considered as "SHORT".

I will not accept your carefully chosen non-starter as a starter for
my falsification attempts and come back to the example I chose:
WAYYAMOT. I notice that none of the examples you quote are from the
same conjugation (the first two, Job 3:11 and 2Sa 3:33 are long
YIQTOL, note the long U vowel), and so all are of doubtful relevance.
While I don't quite understand your point here, I don't see how you
can deal with the form WAYYAMOT without considering any one of the
hundreds of examples of this precise form or of other forms of the
same conjugation. Meanwhile I view your resultative interpretation as
a non-starter except perhaps in a very few cases.

Peter Kirk