b-hebrew - Gen 14:13 Abraham the Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Brian Sullivan" <navillusbpi AT primus.com.au>
  • To: b-hebrew
  • Subject: Gen 14:13 Abraham the Hebrew
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 6:49:2

Greetings to all,

Gen 14:13 refers to Abraham the `Ibriy. Could this be an identification of
Abraham as a Habiru - a term often used to mean 'gypsy', or 'peasant',
perhaps 'nomad'? As the term 'Hebrew' implies the Jewish nation - at that
stage in the Biblical narrative Abraham's household is no more than a
wandering troupe - would it be more accurate to translate the phrase
'Abraham the Hebrew' as 'Abraham the Nomad' or "Gypsy'?

I do not have much access to research material at present, hence if any one
has any information on the derivation of the term, or an online sight that
has this material it would be appreciated.

I would also like to apologise for unintentiionally transmitting an
incompleted page of this same post. I hope it was not an inconvenience to
anybody. Accidents do happen!

Thank you in advance for your kind assistance.

Brian Sullivan
navillusbpi AT primus.com.au

I believe their is some uncertainty