b-hebrew - Re: "From man" in Micah 2:12

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben Crick)
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: "From man" in Micah 2:12
  • Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 17:44:57 +0000

On Sat 27 Nov 1999 (13:36:49), jbarach AT telusplanet.net wrote:
> I've been working on Micah 2:12-13 and am somewhat puzzled by the last
> couple of words of verse 12: TeHiYMeNaH Me'aDaM (Pardon my lousy
> transliteration; I'm not sure what method of transliteration is usual
> on this list.)

Hi John!

The transliteration is just fine. If in doubt, we can always turn up
the verse in the MT!

ISTM that we have the Hiphil Imperfect of HuWM, to heave, swell, be
tumultuous. The MiN here is the epexegetical or causal MiN; to heave or
swell /by reason of/ the multitude of people. In view of the circumstances
(the reassembly of the faithful remnant by the direct intervention of
YHWH), the heaving and swelling will likely be a hymn of spontaneous
praise from the throats of all present. I wonder if the Greek hUMNOS has
any etymological affinity with HuWM? Likely not; but Revelation 7:9
(surely a "faithful remnant", 12K from each tribe) suggests it. But we need
look no further than Micah 4 for the return of the faithful remnant....

As Isaiah tells us "And the ransomed of the LORD shall return and come to
Zion with songs and everlasting joy upon their heads: they shall obtain joy
and gladness, and sorrow and sighing shall flee away" (Isaiah 35:10).

Micah foretells QaBBeTs 'a:QaBBeTs $:'eRiYT Yi&:Ra'eL (2:12), chiming in
with Isaiah's $:'aR Ya$uWB $:'aR Ya`a:QoB 'eL-'eL GiBBoWR (Isaiah 10:21).

Shalom

Ben
--
Revd Ben Crick, BA CF