b-hebrew - Re: Alma, Parthenos, Virgin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Moshe Shulman <mshulman AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Alma, Parthenos, Virgin
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 09:36:34 -0500

At 03:29 PM 10/31/99 +0200, you wrote:
>jim west wrote:
>> >It's also typologically related to the miraculous conception
>> typological interpretation of the OT is nothing less than sheer eisegesis
>> which never allows the text to be heard. it is the crudest sort of
muzzling
>> of the text in fact. summa summarum, typology is anti-biblical.
>A little research and a lot less ranting and you might find out that
typology is
>part of the OT itself - like the correspondences between Abraham's sojourn in
>Egypt and Israel's. "You will find that whatever is written in Scripture
about
>Abraham is written also about his descendants" (Genesis Rabbah 40.6).
Similar
>observations are valid about vast areas of the OT, not just Genesis 12
compared
>to the exodus.

John, I always find it interesting when people who are not fa,miliar with
Rabbinic works, attempt to use them to make some point in favor of a pet
theory. Obviously that passage is not meant seriously, since according to
tradition Avraham was thrown into a furnace, and of course we can mention
many things that are different.
moshe shulman mshulman AT NOSPAMix.netcom.com 718-436-7705
CHASSIDUS.NET - Yoshav Rosh http://www.chassidus.net
Outreach Judaism http://www.outreachjudaism.org/
ICQ# 52009254